.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Life of the Bored and Taskless.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Instead of posting today, I will share with you a song. Try and guess who wrote it (and furthermore, where the first line comes from):

"I Should Be Allowed To Think"

I saw the best minds of my generation
destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical.
I should be allowed to glue my poster.
I should be allowed to think,
and I should be allowed to blurt the merest idea
if by random whim, one occurs to me.
If necessary, leave paper stains on the grey utility pole.

I saw the worst bands of my generation
applied by magic marker to dry wall.
I should be allowed to shoot my mouth off.
I should have a call in show.
I am not allowed to come up with a single original thought.
I am not allowed to meet the criminal government agent who oppresses me.

I was the best hope of my generation
destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical.
I should be allowed to share my feelings.
I should be allowed to feel.

I should be allowed to glue my poster.
I should be allowed to think
and I should be allowed to blurt the merest idea
if by random whim, one occurs to me but sadly,
this can never be.
I am not allowed to think.

Answer: They Might Be Giants; the first line comes from the Allen Ginsberg poem "Howl, Part One."

They're not a joke band, really.


2:17 PM | Jacquie | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: Post a Comment


Me in a tree. Circa 1990.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Blog Buddies.
Fight the Boredom!
Ancient Ramblings.
End Credits.

Skin created by Athena Farhibide