.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Life of the Bored and Taskless.

Friday, May 26, 2006

I never thought I would say this...
I'm a waitress now.

As much as I've tried to avoid taking on the family "business" (no, not the semi-profitable one), I've managed to slide right into the apron, only to don it most of the week during lunchtime. As uninspired I am by the concept (and as unmotivated as I am for the most part), I've actually been quite the worker. My OCD-esque habits have really aided in making time fly (am I having fun?), and I've turned into quite the Jacquie-of-all-trades. I wash dishes, waitress, bus tables, get drinks at times, and soon, Tod will be teaching me some prep techniques and I'll improve my (BIGG)KNIFE SKILLZ!

Working during the day is actually an enjoyable experience. Tod, who I've already mentioned, is the comic relief. Although my mom labelled him an "arrogant bastard" (that was actually a composite), he's good people. If you're generally pleasant to people, and unless they have a core of pure molten evil, they'll return the sentiment. I've probably found out more about the people who work there than my mother has, and she's been working there for months.

In fact, Tom, the...uh...ok, I'm not sure what he does exactly (he's like a manager) used to, and I believe still does, sing and play guitar in a heavy metal band. This guy isn't the typical metalhead. He's a perfectionist (a similarity we share), and is quite mild-mannered in the kitchen. He's kind of short, and does NOT have the big-boned, metal hair (metallic hair?) thing going on. His band, Misbehavin' (sp?) has opened for Blue Oyster Cult (to which I replied, "NO FREAKING WAY!), KISS, and a couple others. Not too shabby. In an MTV Contest (think early 90's), they came in 2nd place. The contest...win a chance to play for Cindy Crawford at the MTV Beach House. Tom made sure they would have a professional video made in order to be more...well, professional. Of course, he could be lying, but that's a fairly elaborate story and I'm not THAT gullible...

So basically, it's Tom, Tod and I plus a bartender (not my mom, thankfully) during the day.

Yesterday, however, I worked a double shift. Let me just...tell you...*dies*. I've never worked that hard in my life. Granted, I'm usually not a hard worker. But I can officially say that (drumroll)....I've busted my ass. It's one thing to work with a couple of guys, but it's a completely different ball game when there are 2 waitresses, a waiter, a hostess, and they all pretty much don't like you (that's the impression that I get).

Jenny, who I met when I bussed there once before, acted as if she's never seen me in her life. Kim, with whom I trained, is kind of new, and apparently is not yet jaded by other people. She was nice. Noel, one of the manager's sons, well, same thing. The hostess, Laura, was lukewarm. It was as if I didn't matter at all (technically speaking, I didn't. I was only training), which is one of the reasons why I felt the need to go to a small college. I can't stand to feel like an incredibly insignificant cog in a machine. Tom automatically repeated "You're doing fine" whenever he detected some sort of confusion or anxiousness in my expression.
Well, at least the customers liked me...I think...*sigh*, I mean, *smile*

In a little while, I'll head out to work a day shift again. A nice, comfortable day shift. After last night, washing dishes is a joyous proposition.

To everyone out there, enjoy your day, and I'll take the damage whenever you're ready.
Oh, and would you like some dess-no, the check. Ok, that's fine. I'll bring it right away.
Have a nice...forget it.

Thanks!
~ Jacquie (yes, that's really how I spell my name)


8:49 AM | Jacquie | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: Post a Comment


Me in a tree. Circa 1990.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Blog Buddies.
Fight the Boredom!
Ancient Ramblings.
End Credits.

Skin created by Athena Farhibide