.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Life of the Bored and Taskless.

Monday, June 03, 2002

Lunchtime Lunacy...

Jess: Your mom said "shit."
Me: My mom IS shit.

(Mrs. Marano walks by)

Me: Come and knock on our fucking door...

(Mrs. Marano walks by)

Ok, let me clarify. Jess was talking about my mom during Relay For Life, which I'll explain later in detail. The little thing I said about knocking on a fucking door was my lifeless rendition of the "Three's Company" theme song. Both times Mrs. Marano, my math teacher, walked by. I honestly couldn't give less of a crap.

Friday night, Mike and I went to see Star Wars. Yes, I wanted to see Star Wars. I think the old ones are OBVIOUSLY better, but I'm not obsessed with it and I don't know all the little details about minor characters like some people do. Anyway, we had a good time and the movie was kickin'. Afterwards, we went to the Coffee Beanary, just to hang out. (we don't like coffee) We got some big bouncy balls from the restaurant nextdoor, and Mike conitnued to eat the gigantic tub of popcorn he got at the movies. These girls walked by while lightning was flashing in the sky, and one of them said:

"Wow, that's some mad lighting. Wow, that's a big thing of popcorn!"

Hah. So, it was fun.

Saturday and Sunday...RELAY FOR LIFE. That and the dance marathon were the longest events I have ever attended in my whole life. I felt like I was there for a week! I'll explain what Relay For Life is. It is a 24 hour event that tours around the country, and ours was held at Central Park in Doylestown and lasted from 10 AM Sat. to 10 AM Sun. Pre-relay, teams raise money (the goal was $100 a person) and get forms signed for registration, waiver, etc. Then at the event, the teams divide their members and assign them walking shifts, which are 1 hour each. The track was 1/2 long and people placed their tents around the oval-shaped path. We had a team of 11 people (Me, Jen, Jen, Jess, Bridget, Courtney, Michelle, Heather, Kellie, and twootherpeopledon'tgetoffendedbecauseitemporarilyforgetyou) We each had to walk about 4 hours, and my aunt chaperoned the whole time. My mom came, left, and came back later. They had events like the Tastykake eating contest, the midnight movies, rock climbing (I did that! Woo!), Irish Dancing, and other things. Free food = heaven. Also, Kid's Castle was there. It was made into a make-out point, for people like Dana. Dana made out with some kid named Colin, who she just met. Other people made out with strangers. No offense, but that goes against my morals...so Courtney and I and a few other people I guess didn't participate in Boyfest 2002. Jen and Kellie left with Nadia to go to her pool during the day, and I was kind of against that too. I think some people lost sight of the whole purpose of the event, which was to benifit cancer victims and research to help find a cure for it. They had a wonderful ceremony at night called the Luminaria, where people payed $5 for each name of a person who has, died, or took care of someone who had cancer. Each person was represented by a bag with their name on it that had a candle inside of it. These bags were placed around the track and lit it up so the late night walkers could see, and people could look at the names of the people and some of the messages people wrote in chalk by the bags. Then, people read the names of all of these people in alphabetical order, and the bagpipes were played when the cancer victims who dies were read. It was a beautiful and sad ceremony, and it gave purpose to the whole event. A lot of bags were on the track for Heather Coddington, a girl who died last year of cancer that went to Unami Middle School. People wrote many messages for her, and while reading them I cried. She was my age, I guess, and died of cancer and everyone missed her a lot. I didn't cry when my great-grandfather, whom I've never gotten the chance to meet, was read on the list under the "in memory of" category. I think I would have cried if my grandfather's name was read under that category, but MY MOM DIDN'T REMEMBER TO GET A CANDLE FOR HIM! I can't rely on her for anything. Before the luminaria began at about 9, Courtney and her mom were with me, and Courtney's mom and I had a mini-conversation:

Courtney's mom: Jacquie, I met your mom earlier today, and she was really nice.
Me: Oh, really?

We burst into laughter, because the way I said it was really the way I felt about that. It was in a tone or surprise and was not at all sarcastic. It was a great moment, indeed.

All in all, Relay For Life was great, I had many other great moments I'm forgetting to mention. One of them would not be the 3 hours of sleep I got within that 24 hour fundraiser. It was hard to sleep when Amanda and Michelle got into a "fuck you" screaming match, and everyone would not shut the hell up. I crammed my head between the pillow my mom got and almost started crying because I got all worked up and I was exhausted. Someone was bouncing a basketball and it was repetitive, loud, and EXTREMELY irritating and I almost un zipped my tent and screamed "SHUT THE HELL UP!" but decided against it, partially because my mom was sitting right outside the tent and she would most likely ground me. For eternity. I went home and slept from about 12:30 to 4:30, and last night I got barely any sleep. Arg. Today I was dazed and I looked possessed in computer class whenever I turned to face someone.

This post is already way too long and I bet no one read this entire post except me.

One last thing, I have to remind myself to tape the rerun of MTV2's $2 Bill concert with The Hives on Wednesday from 6 PM- 7 PM. I intentionally included this to get some people to like The Hives, or watch it and I would secretly find out and be happy someone actually did something I suggested they do.

Watch The White Stripes perform at the MTV Movie Awards. I bet that will be the only worth while thing to watch during the 2 hour show. It's on Thursday from 9-11 PM.

I'm going to start making an outline for the in-class final essay for Social Studies class that I'm doing tomorrow. Wish me luck, I'm sure as hell going to need it. It's on labor unions...uggg. Ok, enough of my rambling, discuss amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic...the mystery flavor in Skittles! Go!


7:30 PM | Jacquie | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: Post a Comment


Me in a tree. Circa 1990.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Blog Buddies.
Fight the Boredom!
Ancient Ramblings.
End Credits.

Skin created by Athena Farhibide